How To Enter The Metaverse: The Definitive Guide
It’s no secret, the metaverse is blowing up.
For anyone with even a passing interest in cryptocurrency, news of the metaverse has been difficult to miss. It’s one of the biggest talking points in the industry at the moment, and it’s not going away any time soon, so it’s better to be in the know than out of the loop.
However, the metaverse isn’t quite a straightforward thing to understand, and even the experts are learning new things all the time. One of the biggest hurdles that most people face when looking to enter the metaverse is access. Despite there being so much information about the wonders of the virtual world, being able to actually enter it has been a notoriously difficult task for many.
We’re going to look to solve that issue today with our definitive guide for how to access the metaverse. Read on below to find our step-by-step guides for each different metaverse platform.
BCB Group is a trusted partner for businesses in the crypto space – we provide secure, effective crypto business account solutions that help you to elevate your operations to achieve the next level of success. We’re also able to offer some of the market’s most competitive rates on our exchanges, with the added benefit of instant settlements enabling you to complete transactions in our network in the blink of an eye. Get in touch with a member of the expert BCB Group team today to learn more about how we could help to take your crypto activity to new heights.
The Different Metaverse Platforms Currently Available
One common misconception about the metaverse is that there are different types, due to the existence of different platforms. This is not the case. Instead, you should be thinking of the different platforms as their own separate continents on the same planet, rather than separate planets entirely.
In the metaverse, everything exists in tandem, even if you are using different platforms to access it. Within each of these platforms, the experience is completely different, so it’s important to find a platform that works for you. For example, there are metaverse platforms that are filled with games, others that are more avatar-based, and those that are a little further from reality too. It’s completely up to you which virtual spaces you choose to enter, giving you control over the content that you’re presented with.
Here are some of the major metaverse platforms that you might encounter when trying to enter the virtual worlds:
The first metaverse platform that we’re going to take a look at is The Sandbox, which launched 15th May 2012. In this virtual world, you’re able to build, own, and even monetise your gaming experiences. The Sandbox features numerous options for interacting with the digital assets that can be found in the various virtual environments it hosts.
For users of The Sandbox, you’ll also be able to utilise the native cryptocurrency that the platform offers, SAND. SAND tokens can be spent in a number of creative ways as you’re gaming, building, and trading in The Sandbox, giving you lots of freedom in the way that you operate in its virtual environment.
Here are the steps that you’ll need to follow to enter The Sandbox metaverse platform:
- Head to The Sandbox website
- Find the “Sign In” prompt in the corner of the screen
- Connect your MetaMask account
- Enter your username, email address, and password
- Click the “Create” button (located on the left-hand side of the screen)
- Download Game Maker and install the application onto your laptop or PC
- Open the app, log in, and start exploring!
Another option when it comes to entering the metaverse from your computer is Decentraland. This platform was launched on 20th February 2020 and is a decentralised world that allows users to seamlessly become creators in an instant. In Decentraland, you’ll be able to build a home, or even an entire neighbourhood, which you can store on the blockchain to buy and sell using the platform’s native currency, LAND.
Keeping to the theme, LAND refers to the parcels of land that you’ll be able to purchase – once bought, this virtual land is yours and you’ll be able to do as you please with it, shaping your own digital landscape.
How do you enter the Decentraland metaverse? Check out the steps below!
- The first thing you need to do is load up the Decentraland website.
- Once you’re there, click the “START EXPLORING” button that can be found in the top-right corner of the page.
- There are two options to choose from when logging into the Decentraland platform: “Play as a guest” or “Play using your wallet”. You’ll need to select the relevant option, depending on how you want to play.
- If you’re playing using your crypto wallet, you’ll now need to link your MetaMask, WalletConnect, or Fortmatic wallet to the platform.
- Once you’ve completed these steps, the game should start to load up.
- If you’re playing as a guest, you’ll bypass the account linking step. Instead, you’ll be sent straight to the playable Decentraland game world.
Please be aware that playing as a guest will limit the amount of access that you have on the platform. As a guest, you’ll be able to explore the land and customise your avatar, but you won’t be able to play games, buy LAND parcels, or create ASSETS if you’re playing on an unlinked account. Whilst this is limiting, it does give you a chance to get a hands-on taster of the platform before you commit any serious money to a related crypto wallet, so you’ll be able to get a feel for whether experiencing the metaverse through this platform is a right fit for you.
Axie Infinity Metaverse
The last metaverse platform that we’re going to look at entering is Axie Infinity, which is a much more game-orientated platform than the likes of Decentraland, which was launched in March 2018. In short, Axie Infinity is very similar to the global phenomenon game Pokemon GO, which enables users to explore their real-life surroundings in search of virtual items and characters that are pinned to specific geographic locations via the in-game map. If you’re familiar with Pokemon GO, we’re sure that Axie Infinity will be a brilliant introduction to your metaverse experience.
Axie Infinity is an incredibly versatile platform that users love to use when they’re on the go – you can play whilst travelling/commuting, walking, or even whilst you’re airborne on a flight. This platform is a great way to engage with the metaverse, pass the time, and even make money!
If you want to get started on Axie Infinity, here’s what you need to do:
- As with every metaverse platform, the first thing that you need to do is head over to the Axie Infinity website.
- Click the banner found in the top-right corner labelled “Play Now”.
- The next thing you’ll be asked to do is to connect your crypto wallet – this time it’ll be a Ronin Wallet that’s required. If you don’t have a Ronin Wallet set up, you will need to do this before you’re able to proceed.
- Once linked, you’ll need to purchase 3 Axies (AXS), the game’s native currency, to start playing. Whenever you need to, you’ll be able to buy AXS coins from the in-game marketplace and make crypto deposits into your Ronin Wallet.
- Following a successfully linked and deposited wallet, you’ll be able to set up your unique in-game account using an email and password combination.
- Now that you have your login credentials, you can download the Axie Infinity app and start playing! The app is available on Windows, MacOS, Android, and iOS, allowing you to play on a wide range of different devices.
Are there any specific pieces of equipment that you’ll need?
For a more immersive experience in the metaverse, you’ll want to look at investing in a high-quality VR headset such as the Oculus Quest 2. With this headset, you’ll become fully integrated into the digital world, feeling as if you’re right there in the digital environment as you play. The headset is built using powerful graphic chips and storage components, which work in tandem with the six built-in tracking cameras that follow your head and hands constantly, removing the need for any external tracking sensors.
In addition to the headset, you’ll also receive the Oculus touch controller, which features a joystick and buttons that give you added functionality and control in the metaverse. You’ll be able to grab, move, and interact with objects in a far more fluid manner – again blurring the lines between virtual and physical reality with the metaverse.
Not all metaverse platforms will require you to use a VR headset, with major platforms such as Decentraland allowing users to experience the metaverse using just a PC/laptop and their browser. However, the experience is massively heightened through the use of VR, so if you enjoy your initial metaverse interactions, you may want to consider investing in one of these devices.